Hard Drive Suggestions for Pegasus 2 R4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by puckhead193, Sep 14, 2014.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Sad to say, but my Pegasus 2 R4 is filling up fast. (I guess that's good as i'm getting work :cool:) Needless to say I need more hard drives. I want something 3/4TB in storage.

They recommend Seagate Barracuda 4TB drive but when I search the model number (ST4000DM000) it comes up as only a 5900 RPM drive. Does that sound right. Seems to slow.

My drive shipped with Toshiba's DT01ACA200, but there only 2TB each...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks as always!

2. monokakata, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Try the ST4000DX001 hybrid drive.

It's also 5900 RPM but has a SSD component that might, in practice, deliver the speed you need.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

This HGST Deskstar drive is 4TB and 7200RPM. You might want to email Pegasus and see if they have an updated drive list and, if the unit is still under warranty, make sure that you get drives that don't void the warranty. Also, you might take a performance hit by installing larger capacity drives but it's probably a non-issue unless you need to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the unit.

4. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

I have a pegasus 2 r4 also. What really upsets me is that the raid 5 settings with 4 x2t hard drives gets downgraded from 8t to 6t, but thats only because it puts 2t aside in case one needs to be re built.

As one of the posters said in this raid, I would definitely contact promise and see what falls into your warranty. If you buy the drives directly from them, you might have a better deal cause of how your warranty works and you'll have coverage in the future. Because you need to buy 4 of the same drives, I would definitely purchase 4 x4t drives at 7200 rpm's I love the server tho, its great for storing everything.

5. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Thanks for the suggestion. Contacting Promise/Pegasus is like trying to get through to your health insurance. Its awful. Worth a shot though.

As for the performance hit, I'm only editing 1080/60 converted to prores in FCPX

6. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Somewhat recently, I saw some 6TB drive boxes in Fry's earlier this summer. (They were $299.99)