Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Ok, so I'm on the verge of getting this umb sold and am purchasing a 13" mbp soon. I know that i want to get the 500gb scorpio blue and 4gb of ram.

I'm tired of looking through the posts via search b/c the majority of the ones just ask advice on which hdd to get.

I've seen thread stating that the hdd isn't recognized once installed. Is this only for the ones that had os x installed previously? That's the impression that i get.

So when I get the new mbp, and install the new hdd and ram before even turning it on. install os x... it should be recognized right?

I know to use the torx 6 and the phillips #00.. that the screws are different lengths...

any other tips that aren't in the manual. Am I forgetting to do something?

sorry if this particular thing has been asked but I'm tired of searching :p

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
There were apparently a few isolated problems reported by some regarding the Firmware update and new HDs

I wouldn't be too concerned
Many have updated to the Scorpio Blue without issue
It should not be a problem for you

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

asaj

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
I just got my first Mac last week (typing on it now, and loving it), and did the same thing you are doing, except I used a 500gb Hitachi. The hardest thing about it was getting the screws out and then putting them back in without stripping them. I bought a 00 prescision screwdriver from Sears, but apparently it wasn't precision enough, because it didn't fit the screws. I had a standard philips head screwdriver that did fit though. My advice is to just go slow. Replacing the hdd and ram was simple, and then I just turned it on with the OSX CD in the drive, formatted, and installed. No issues. It does take a while though, so get ready to do a lot of waiting.

Good luck.

asaj

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
thanks! you put the cd in the drive before turning it on? the drives functions when the machine is off?

No, I put it in as soon as I turned it on. The first time, I just had the Apple and the spinning wheel thing for a looooong time. I eventually turned it off by holding the power button down, and then fired it back up, and it seemed to get to the menu faster. I am not sure what happened, but it worked fine from that point. The first thing it does is validate the install disk, which takes about an hour and 15 minutes, so it may have been doing that in the background, I am not sure, but it worked fine the second time through.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I just did this very install on my new 13" mbp. Same hard drive you have. I decided to just take the hd out of it's package and install it in the mbp without seeing if the drive worked or not.

1. Install the drive following the directions. Just be careful with the case screws 3 of them are long, the rest of them are short. Remember where they go. The hd installation was easy.

2. Plug it in, turn it on... insert the leopard install disk... wait... follow directions.

3. This was the gotcha... It doesn't see the disk. But no problem. The install disk has disk utility on it. Start disk utility and partition and name the drive. Now when you start the install again it will find your drive. Select the drive and follow the instructions on the osx install. The 13" is a really nice machine. I've been using it now for a week and I really like it.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
No, I put it in as soon as I turned it on. The first time, I just had the Apple and the spinning wheel thing for a looooong time. I eventually turned it off by holding the power button down, and then fired it back up, and it seemed to get to the menu faster. I am not sure what happened, but it worked fine from that point. The first thing it does is validate the install disk, which takes about an hour and 15 minutes, so it may have been doing that in the background, I am not sure, but it worked fine the second time through.

We've got brand new machines with brand new osx install disks. The validation does take a long time but if you think your disk is good... you have the option of skipping the validation process and proceeding to the install. I let the validation run for 10 minutes and then hit the skip button. All went well. I have a lot of faith in brand new shiny dvd install disks.

I got a very nice set of both torx and small phillips and flat head screwdrivers from Lowes. Just look at their website and search for torx. Each handle cost 5 dollars and the handles each have 8 screwdrivers in them. T000, T00, T0... and on up.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
Ok, so I'm on the verge of getting this umb sold and am purchasing a 13" mbp soon. I know that i want to get the 500gb scorpio blue and 4gb of ram.

I'm tired of looking through the posts via search b/c the majority of the ones just ask advice on which hdd to get.

I've seen thread stating that the hdd isn't recognized once installed. Is this only for the ones that had os x installed previously? That's the impression that i get.

So when I get the new mbp, and install the new hdd and ram before even turning it on. install os x... it should be recognized right?

I know to use the torx 6 and the phillips #00.. that the screws are different lengths...

any other tips that aren't in the manual. Am I forgetting to do something?

sorry if this particular thing has been asked but I'm tired of searching :p

I did exactly what you are wanting to do (see sig).
I took the 160GB HD out and the 2GB Ram, and then put the 4GB and 500GB HD in. When you boot, hold c to boot from the install disc, then use disk utlity to format the hard drive, then you're good to go.

asaj

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
We've got brand new machines with brand new osx install disks. The validation does take a long time but if you think your disk is good... you have the option of skipping the validation process and proceeding to the install. I let the validation run for 10 minutes and then hit the skip button. All went well. I have a lot of faith in brand new shiny dvd install disks.

I got a very nice set of both torx and small phillips and flat head screwdrivers from Lowes. Just look at their website and search for torx. Each handle cost 5 dollars and the handles each have 8 screwdrivers in them. T000, T00, T0... and on up.

I wish i had noticed the skip button, but i just let it go. Oh well, alls well that ends well.

I will check out the screwdrivers at lowes, i figured the crafstman ones woulf be good, but apparently not. Hopefully i do not have to take the laptop apart again anytime soon though. definitely loving the Mac, it's our first one, and I really like it.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Lowes torx and screwdriver pointer

I wish i had noticed the skip button, but i just let it go. Oh well, alls well that ends well.

I will check out the screwdrivers at lowes, i figured the crafstman ones woulf be good, but apparently not. Hopefully i do not have to take the laptop apart again anytime soon though. definitely loving the Mac, it's our first one, and I really like it.

They are made by kobalt, 5.98 each (8 different heads per handle).

Here is the pointer to the page:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...product_price|0&N=4294961544&sortOp=lowToHigh

Items 239384 and 239400... they are very well made and have the torx T6 and the philips T00 that we need to swap the HD among some other small drivers.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I was worried about the Firmware upgrade when I ordered a Seagate 500gb 7200rpm drive. I installed it last Friday and no problems as of yet.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Sweet guys! Thanks for all the help. The tools help a bunch. I think I have the old one sold but now I have to wipe it out in a hurry. Hopefully I don't run into any problems! I think it should be sold tonight! Any tips for when I clear out my umb to make it go quick and easy?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Sweet guys! Thanks for all the help. The tools help a bunch. I think I have the old one sold but now I have to wipe it out in a hurry. Hopefully I don't run into any problems! I think it should be sold tonight! Any tips for when I clear out my umb to make it go quick and easy?

You've probably already wiped your old umb but I was thinking that all you need to do is take it's osx install disk, put it in the old umb and do an erase and install. That way your stuff is wiped off the disk but the machine will still boot.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
You've probably already wiped your old umb but I was thinking that all you need to do is take it's osx install disk, put it in the old umb and do an erase and install. That way your stuff is wiped off the disk but the machine will still boot.

yep, installing the apps disk now.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
got the mbp today, waiting on the new egg order...

isn't there a way to not load all of the languages when i install the OS on the new HDD?

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
I just did this very install on my new 13" mbp. Same hard drive you have. I decided to just take the hd out of it's package and install it in the mbp without seeing if the drive worked or not.

1. Install the drive following the directions. Just be careful with the case screws 3 of them are long, the rest of them are short. Remember where they go. The hd installation was easy.

2. Plug it in, turn it on... insert the leopard install disk... wait... follow directions.

3. This was the gotcha... It doesn't see the disk. But no problem. The install disk has disk utility on it. Start disk utility and partition and name the drive. Now when you start the install again it will find your drive. Select the drive and follow the instructions on the osx install. The 13" is a really nice machine. I've been using it now for a week and I really like it.

sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do i get to the disk utility? will it be an option to just click?

I haven't done it yet... just trying to get all the info possible before starting.

Thanks

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do i get to the disk utility? will it be an option to just click?

I haven't done it yet... just trying to get all the info possible before starting.

Thanks

The Disk Utility will show up after the Installer Boots, on the top menu bar you will see the option to launch it.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
nice, thanks.

hey have you guys that mentioned that you did the same set up as me had any problems with the 1.7 firmware yet?

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
ok guys, great advice! I received the stuff from newegg about 45 minutes ago and its all in. Now i turned on the computer, inserted the disc...now i have the spinning wheel... what is the skip option?

edit: oh, well... nevermind. It was on the wheel for about 5 minutes and now its asking me for the language.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
got it all done. Thanks again for all the help everyone. It proved very useful, I even purchased the ame tools from Lowes... worked like a charm!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.