Hard drive swap in new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nconnella, Apr 13, 2010.

1. nconnella macrumors regular

Is anyone planning on swapping out the stock 500GB 5400rpm for another with the same specs, but possibly better build/company? I currently have a WD Scorpio which is supposed to be a great drive so I'm wondering if it might be worth replacing the existing one with it (if it's not the same) or if the differences aren't worth it. Any opinions? I know when compared to the Seagate the Scorpio is related much better...

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

If you want a better hard drive, swap it for a speedy SSD and put the 500GB in an external USB enclosure for storage.

3. nconnella thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, they are way too much per gig right now. I prefer more space to speed (as much as I'd love a 512GB SSD *drool*). I'm just debating quality of build. I've been convinced by others, the difference in large capacity drives between 5400 and 7200 is hard to tell now. So I'm mainly concerned with quality and reliability.

4. trieuth macrumors newbie

5. trieuth macrumors newbie

^obviously I don't mean the HD itself cause its not from apple, but as far as the rest of the computer?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it does not void the warranty for the rest of the computer.

7. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

No, just don't get rid of the original Apple disk. If you need to send/bring it in, place back the original disk it came with. Apple is notorious for removing non-original hardware. You'll just get your machine back with a standard drive for that model, and your own stuff is gone.