Hard Drive swap-out and transfer advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pkts, Oct 10, 2007.

1. pkts macrumors member

Hi,

I have a first gen macbook 2.0Ghz. I need more hard drive space so I'm going to buy a bigger 5400rpm drive. Couple of questions:

1. What's a good manufacturer? Hitachi is good right? Anyone else?

2. I use bootcamp in addition to OSX. What is the easiest way to do this transfer. I don't want to have to reinstall both systems and all my programs. Can I just log into OSX and drag the hard drive partition onto the new drive (connected with a firewire enclosure I guess?) and then log in to Vista and do the same thing? Or do I need a software program?

3. Any recommendations on firewire enclosures to use my old drive as an external?

Thanks for any advice!

Toby.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Seagate and Hitachi are good.
    2. You'll more then likely have to image the entire drive since you use Boot Camp.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You can clone your OS X to your new drive if you put it in an enclosure (as you already suggested) using SuperDuper! Basic functionality (cloning, manual backups etc) is free.

I've never backed up a windows partition, but people have been asking this question ever since BootCamp was released - eg. http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative-operating-systems/300299/how-to-clone-xp-boot/

That's XP though. I'm not sure about Vista.

Edit: Eldorian, does NetRestore work with Vista? I was going to mention it, but its webpage mentions only XP

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You have a point since the boot loader is different in Vista.

I've only imaged OS X only machines with it. I suggest checking into the Software Discussion Forums @ Bombich.com or Google for a more definite answer.

5. pkts thread starter macrumors member

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just a reminder that WinClone will only clone your Windows partition.

7. pkts thread starter macrumors member

OK Thanks...I'll guess I'll use Winclone for that and Bombich or Superduper for the OSX part? I searched and a poster says you need a torx t-8 screwdriver to remove the housing on the existing hard drive. Is that correct?

Thanks!

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That is correct.

9. El Cid macrumors member

El Cid

Recomendations

I really like the Western Digitial I picked up not to long ago. 250GB @ 5400. I have also had good experiences with Toshiba in an ibook. As far as enclosures go, I picked up a Macally enclosure with firewire. But Macally has a good selection of small encolures off all types.:)

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've never seen a 2.5" SATA enclosure with FireWire connections.

11. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Yeah, it's either USB 2.0 or E-SATA (which Macs don't currently have as a factory option).

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

USB will work fine on an Intel Mac.

13. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Yeah I know I know, I kinda implied using the OR statement that E-SATA wouldn't without a PCI card or some kind (or is that PCI-E these days with Mac Pros?). I did consider using an external caddy through USB 2.0 but with a 320Gb HDD I have plenty of space at the moment.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

eSATA would work but you'd need a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro to get eSATA ports.

Otherwise you'd be using a eSATA to USB adapter. :rolleyes:

15. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Now why didn't I think of that :D

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What do you mean? You didn't know about an eSATA to USB adapter? I was surprised as well when I saw one.

Kinda silly don't you think?

17. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

18. pkts thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the responses.

I just want to recount what I did.

I swapped the drives. Put my old drive into a USB 2.0 enclosure and booted up from it using option startup. Then I downloaded super duper and ran the copy to my new drive (I had to format it first). That worked great but I couldn't get the win partition software to work...it was taking forever and it seemed like it was stalled. I tried running it off the USB startup disk as well as by rebooting with the new drive. So I ended up reinstalling Boot Camp (I had an older version anyway) and just copying across my programs and settings. I did have to go thru 32 windows updates!!! The whole windows installation process reminded me of how much I dislike using it. But now I'm off to see how the Orange Box runs. Fingers crossed!

BTW, the super irritating high pitched beep my Macbook used to make every two seconds is now gone...guess it was the old drive. Unfortunately I couldn't get a Hitachi or Seagate or Toshiba so I bought a Fujitsu 160 GB.