Hard drive swap question???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qwerty2020, Jan 16, 2008.

1. qwerty2020 macrumors newbie

Ok so I bought a macbook the other day and decided to upgrade the hard drive for more space and so I bought a bigger hard drive but the catch is that the new hard drive has pre-installed software on it. My question is that do you have to format the new hard drive and if you do how would i go about copying the applications off of it to a external hard drive then formatting it then putting the applications back on it? Sorry if this doesnt make a lot of sense...if you have any more questions that would help you to answer my question then by all means ask away.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are you using Leopard?

You'd erase the disk by booting off of the DVD and using Disk Utility. After that you can restore using Time Machine.

In Tiger you can clone the disk using Super Duper. You'd need an external enclosure for that though.

3. qwerty2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is running tiger now but the new hard drive that i bought(not yet installed) has leopard. So I want to copy the new hard drive things to an external hard drive the put the new hard drive in and format it(which would erase everything right??) then put everything that i copyed on the external drive back to the new hard drive that i put it the macbook. So how would i go about doing this??