Hard Drive swap ?'s used superduper

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by safetyobc, Dec 2, 2010.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I just upgraded my Macbook Pro 2.2's hard drive from the standard 160 GB 5400 RPM to an Hitatchi 320 GB 7400 RPM.

I used superduper to clone the drive before the swap. Used iFixit for instructions on how to change (this was my very first HDD swap).

I booted the computer up and it works 100% perfect. Quite a bit more snappy now too!

This may be a dumb questions being how it is working fine, but do I need to do anything else? I kept my old drive, gonna use it as a backup but it seems like this was too easy. There has to be more to it right?

Thanks,

Matt

2. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

WOW! I should have done this years ago. I was waiting on Apple Care to run out (which it did in November). Good thing I did I guess because the logic board went out 2 months before Apple Care ended.

I have to say, Apple Care was great. They replaced my logic board, optical drive and battery. I didn't know my optical drive was faulty and I couldn't believe they gave me a new battery. My old battery wouldn't hold a 10 minute charge. Pretty awesome!

Also, does my time machine need to be started over? Or will it pick up from where it left off?

Thanks!

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Pretty simple procedure :)
    I use Carbon Copy Cloner, but the process and results are the same

Enjoy your new snappier drive

4. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I tried CCC.

I wanted to make sure the drive would boot BEFORE I made the switch. i couldn't get it to boot with CCC. SuperDuper booted the external with no problem.

It was probably something I did wrong, but I'm not sure what it was.

5. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Not really on topic but is it true that this model MBP (2.2 GHz) only can use 3GB of RAM? So I could buy 1, 2 GB stick and use with the other 1GB stick that would be in the machine....correct? Or would 2, 2GB sticks be better?

Thanks,

Matt