Hard drive Swap ~ Will it work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kinsale, Jul 9, 2010.

1. kinsale macrumors newbie

I currently have an old white Macbook (1.83GHz) that I recently put a new 7200 rpm 500GB hard drive in. It has Snow Leopard on it.

I am buying today a new 13 inch Macbook Pro with a 250GB 5400rpm drive.

My question is can I simply swap the drives and everything will work or will I need to reformat one or both and re install the OS.

thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can always try but because they have different components thus different drivers, it might not work

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can swap the drives, but the 500GB HDD with an older Mac OS X version on it (?) might not work with the MBP. If it works, be sure to update both Macs to have the latest drivers.

4. kinsale thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

6. CSHawkeye81 macrumors member

It should work, but have you filled up that 500gb drive yet? If not have you thought of using the 250gb to do time machine and then a clean install on that drive??

7. Gomff macrumors 6502a

There's a pretty good chance that it will work. When my Macbook Pro developed a logic board fault I was able to boot to the system that was installed on it from another Mac via a firewire cable, and was hence able to get my files off it and whatnot before sending it in for repair. I've l also had success booting from system backups made on different systems with Superduper so I think it will probably work.

Put it this way, there's no harm trying, biggest risk is probably getting the hard drive out of the old macbook.