Hard Drive Swap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davids8477, Aug 22, 2011.

1. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Bear with me in this question.

I have a 2007 Macbook Pro and am awaiting delivery of a 2011 model.

On my current MBP with LION I have boot camp running with Windows XP.

I cannot clone the Boot Camp partition as WINCLONE does not work on LION and I need that partition - with software etc. - on the new machine.

Can I swap the hard drive from the older MBP into the new one - it also happens to be a faster drive than the stock drive in the MBP I am buying?

I recognize that I may have to reinstall LION on the new MBP due to the different hardware etc. I can do that and migrate from the original drive - I have a CCC clone of it - at least I assume I can.

Any thoughts would be appreciate - or any alternative approaches.

Thanks

2. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

The only problem I see so far (after a very quick glance over your information) is playing with Windows XP. I see lots of issues coming up because of Bootcamp and more than likely after swapping and playing with OS X you're going to have to reinstall Windows. More than likely it's a better idea to do so anyways to start out clean (you will need to reinstall the drivers on the Windows side of things to make it work anyways).

It's more worth it to start out clean. Back up all your information. When your Mac comes, swap out the drive, format it, reinstall everything. It saves a whole mess of problems, trust me!

3. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Yeah, I agree with the poster above..

I'm not familiar if the older HD will work no problems, they were "formatted" from a different computer. With that in mind, I would back up the files. Swap the HD's. Re-install Mac OS X of your choice. Import the files and go from there.

4. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Guys - I was afraid that would be the consensus.

5. bubba*nix macrumors member

Try Winclone again: http://roaringapps.com/app:904

I updated it to work with Lion. If it doesn't work for you, leave comments in the above thread and I'll see if I can help.

6. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much - trying the IMAGE backup right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Don't bother, windows XP is no longer supported since the 2011 MBP's came out, I doubt your windows partition will even boot.

You should backup and start fresh, and you'll have to use windows 7.

8. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I heard that too. I going to try it as it will save a lot of time and frustration if it works - if not then a clean install it is - I have a WIN 7 Installation disk on its way - just in case.

9. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the imaging process seemed to go OK - and pretty fast too.

Now have to await the arrival of my new MBP to check out the restore.

Is there any way I can check out the Image without actually restoring it?

10. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it seemed to restore OK at first, but eventually the Boot Camp would not boot :(.

So I did a clean install of Windows 7 and that worked just fine.

Thanks for trying, but not successful for me.