Hard Drive Swap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uplusd, Apr 11, 2008.

1. uplusd macrumors 6502

Every tutorial I've read about opening the macbook pro and swapping the hard drive mentions removing the top case and then disconnecting the ribbon cable. I'm wondering can you get away without disconnecting the ribbon cable? Maybe by having someone else hold the track pad up while you swap the HD?

Thanks

2. damesJ macrumors member

its possible to do that.. but removing the cable is easy and easy to put back in, just snaps right in

3. Skystar macrumors 6502

I agree, it would be much easier to take your time by removing the cable. That ribbon cable is probably the easiest cable to plug and unplug.

4. GoxKok macrumors member

GoxKok

I also was very wary after reading those instructions online, but I can assure you personally that the ribbon cable is very easy to remove and replace.

Just as with anything, just be delicate and you'll totally be fine.

5. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

I 3rd these guys! its easy

6. a4abt macrumors regular

Funny you ask, because when I upgraded my MBP's HDD, I had someone holding the keyboard lid. I wanted to unplug the least as possible. Enjoy your HDD upgrade, I went from 120gb to 320gb and it feels great to have that much space for all my data and multimedia stuff!

7. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

I replaced my HD successfully. However, the part of the top case on top of the optical part is now "bent" downward and also has a gap. I applied some pressure to ensure the clips were secure but it made it worse. Any advice?

Thanks

8. MediaRyan macrumors member

Does doing something like this void applecare?

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I have heard of this...

I have heard of this and an Aware Poster somewhere mentioned "feeding some thin items" into the Optical Drive so that the Downward Pressure required to "snap" the Cover into place didn't bend the ONLY vulnerable piece of aluminum... Basically take up the space so that it CAN'T bend when Snapping the Clips back in place... perhaps a DVD (or a piece of one) and some paper to SNUG up the space slightly..??

Hope this helps future HD swappers... for yours, maybe removing the cover and CAREFULLY bending back (as you will obviously have to bend beyond the limits available while assembled now...) I WOULD HOPE THAT the aluminum is tough enough to allow this procedure, but as always "GO SLOW!!"

Ciao_bw

10. sickassdog13 macrumors newbie

sickassdog13

how easy was the whole process? i want to do this also, but i am a little hesistant if it is a very difficult job. on a scale of 1-10, 1 EASY-10 HARD, how would you rate it? and how long did it take you?

11. JasonK macrumors member

If you have never opened your case, I would say it is a 8 or 9. Be careful to wear gloves that do not transmit static. Youtube has some tutorials I believe that could help.

12. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

If you need to send it in for repair and they notice that the HD has been swapped then Apple can invalidate your warranty. They are legally only bound to do this however, if they can prove the fault of your machine was caused by this swap.

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Swapping back to the original parts solves this