Hard drive temperature?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MiniD3, Mar 9, 2013.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi guys,
    1st day here,
    Getting "appleized" this year, moving completely from windows,
    Got the iPhone, then the iPad, and hopefully a new 27" iMac at the end of our financial year, main use, photo editing

Now to the question, (sorry for the long intro)
    During my research and many trips to retail stores,
    I did notice a 27" iMac, (last model, not the new thin one), was quite hot,
    When I asked the sales person, he said that is because it was running all day?

Do SSD's run cooler than the fusion option?
    Not sure I can "pony-up" for the 768GB SSD but if I can keep the heat down, it may be a deciding factor

Or, do the "new" 27" thin iMacs just run cooler?
    Regards,
    Gary

2. simsaladimbamba

The main heat is not generated by the HDD or SSD (an SSD will be 10° C cooler or so), but by the CPU, and since the aluminium back acts as heat radiator, it is normal for it to be warm or even hot, then it does function properly.
    And modern CPUs are built to withstand 100° C and more, look at the following guide for some basic information: Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Drives, whether HDD or SSD, are not major contributors to heat in Macs. The two primary furnaces are the CPU and GPU.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If high demands are put on the system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just the Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for a Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so the heat is more easily felt on the surface. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

The fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If the fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow the computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

4. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Wow!
    Thank you for such a detailed and informative reply guys!
    Much appreciated!
    Also, the links were a great help,
    I cannot get flash player to work on this iPad, I keep getting the prompt, "not available on this device"
    Not to worry, the rest of the info answered a lot of questions
    For the next few months, my main communication is with the iPad until I can afford the new system, my windows laptop has been in palliative care for some time, the other day, it became "brain dead" and had to turn off the life support system :)

Thanks again for your prompt replies,
    Regards,
    Gary

5. simsaladimbamba

Flash is not available for the iPad or iPhone or iPod touch.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Flash isn't available on iDevices. As you asked the temps question in the iMac forum, all the information posted relates to Macs, not iPhones/iPads/iPods. There are separate subforums for those devices. Just click "Forums" at the top of this page to see the other subforums available.

7. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thanks Guys,
    My bad!
    After searching around the forums, I can see you guys have it all covered,
    Sorry for the wrong post location question,
    My neurones must have had a "glitch"
    Regards,
    Gary