Hard Drive Temps in Raid 0

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kxfrog, Mar 22, 2010.

1. kxfrog macrumors regular

Hi, I have a raid 0 striped array set up using disk utility (software raid) that I have Mac OS X and all my files installed on, it consists of the stock WD 640gb caviar blue drive and a WD 250gb caviar blue drive. Lately I have noticed that after cleaning my hard drives and reinstalling them the 250gb is reporting 55 degrees celcius temps at startup and after some photoshop goes up to 67! is this normal should I be worried? What should I do? Could it be a faulty temperature sensor?

2. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

Those temperatures seem on the high side for a hard disk.

Normally RAID should be set up on identical drives - I'm no expert but there may be a problem with combining a 640GB and 250GB of different speeds.
    Drives are so cheap now I'd suggest getting a second 250GB for the RAID 0 and keeping the 640GB for backup.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

55C is the upper end of the safety limit (and what they're typically designed for). Assuming the 67C reading is accurate, you've got a problem there (I'd be looking at a defective drive).

But the first thing to try and do, is take a real reading (i.e. Infra Red thermometer or K-type thermocouple) of the drive to see if the temp reported is accurate (software can be off, even substantially, so this is the first thing to try and rule out IMO).