Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sml238

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
ok so i installed my seagate momentus 7200.4 500gb and i love it. but i would like to give it some testing to make sure its working properly and wont fail after some heavy loads like iv heard stories about. does anyone know where i can find something like this? i tried google but couldnt come up with much.

oh and when i was re installing snow leopard, i had to leave my college to go home in the middle of it so i had to quit it half way and install it when i got home. it installed fine but does anyone know if this could of potentially messed anything up on me?

sml238

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
what do i enter into video frame size and file size?

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
To be honest I don't really think it matters. I tried all of them and always got the same results for the drive. I think it's capable of running video tests too, but never really looked into it.

sml238

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
To be honest I don't really think it matters. I tried all of them and always got the same results for the drive. I think it's capable of running video tests too, but never really looked into it.

what were your results? mine said like 175 mb/s but this drive is supposed to reach like 875mb/s

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
what were your results? mine said like 175 mb/s but this drive is supposed to reach like 875mb/s

There's no way your drive will ever reach 875 MB/sec. Not even a SSD achieves that. My 5400 rpm drive reached about 65 MB/sec on a SATA 1.5 Gigabit connection. Maybe you are looking at the 3.0 Gigabit connection speed instead of your drives actual throughput speed when expecting the 875 MB/sec.

sml238

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
There's no way your drive will ever reach 875 MB/sec. Not even a SSD achieves that. My 5400 rpm drive reached about 65 MB/sec on a SATA 1.5 Gigabit connection. Maybe you are looking at the 3.0 Gigabit connection speed instead of your drives actual throughput speed when expecting the 875 MB/sec.

ok so my test results are normal for my 7200 rpm drive?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
There is bit (b) and byte(B).
1B = 8b or 1Byte = 8bit

You have the same HDD as me, and AJA Koona System Test will give you around 95MB/s, maybe even 105MB/s.

But most of the time you will not get those top speeds anyway.

Also the SL Installer is capable of resuming the installation process if it is interrupted, so no worries.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
ok so my test results are normal for my 7200 rpm drive?

Yeah those results are normal. That speed though is basically your maximum possible speed which will almost never be achieved in everyday use. Maybe during a long file transfer or something.

sml238

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
ok thanks guys.

spinner - today i was on a bus going back to my college and we went over some bumps. my drive was making some pretty hard clunking noises. i obviously know this is the motion sensor but is it normal to clunk pretty hard and loud?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
ok thanks guys.

spinner - today i was on a bus going back to my college and we went over some bumps. my drive was making some pretty hard clunking noises. i obviously know this is the motion sensor but is it normal to clunk pretty hard and loud?

I don't know if it is clunky, but it is audible.

mrwashi

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
well as i was going over bumps my hand was on the palm rest and it felt like something was tapping from inside the case

Hey mate also disable the "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible." at the energy saver

My 7200.4 drive was driving me nuts with the beach ball of death crap whenI was installing cs4 with using terminal to edit hosts file to stop cs4 from accessing the adobe server to see if my photoshop was legit :D

Anyway that has all but stopped now after unchecking that so its all good now.

mrwashi

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
Hey mate also disable the "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible." at the energy saver

My 7200.4 drive was driving me nuts with the beach ball of death crap whenI was installing cs4 with using terminal to edit hosts file to stop cs4 from accessing the adobe server to see if my photoshop was legit :D

Anyway that has all but stopped now after unchecking that so its all good now.

I'm retracting those comments, my seagate 7200.4 didnt cause the beach ball of death as most web forums point out, it was stupid TRANSMISSION :mad:

sml238

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
hmm. transmission seems to be a little buggy with snow leopard. sometimes it takes forever to quit and i have to force quit it. you probably had a similar issue.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
hmm. transmission seems to be a little buggy with snow leopard. sometimes it takes forever to quit and i have to force quit it. you probably had a similar issue.

It needs that time to quit to write to the downloaded files.

It may take a minute or two, but it will quit, even if Activity Monitor says the Application is not responding.

sml238

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010

It may take a minute or two, but it will quit, even if Activity Monitor says the Application is not responding.

oh i see. sometimes it has froze up on me and i had to force quit it.

and do you think that clunking when going over big bumps is anything to worry about?

sml238

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
If it happens periodically, yes.

I would avoid those big bumps though, as even the SMS might get tired of it.

the sms? and yeah i couldnt really avoid them as. i didnt see them coming but i guess i should have picked the laptop up

mrwashi

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010

It actually killed my other apps as well and made them unstable... and in the end after 6 minutes did not quit it self so I had to force quit :mad:

I blamed a perfectly good hard drive for no reason :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.