Hard drive that's good for battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seydurin, Aug 3, 2010.

1. seydurin macrumors member

I have a MBP 13" 250gb hdd, and I have been contemplating an hdd upgrade for a while now, mainly just to have more space for stuff. But I also would like the hard drive to be energy efficient - definitely not be worse than the stock trive, but maybe improve battery life a little. And if I can have my cake and eat it too, I would like a slight speed boost also (definitely not the opposite).

I don't know how the stock drives fare against the newer ones on the market, but to sum it up I would like a drive that:

Is at least (around) twice as big
    Is at least as energy efficient, preferably better
    Is a little faster

I've been trying to research it on my own, but I just ended up feeling like there was such a cacophony of drives out there, and I couldn't always find all the information I wanted, so does anyone know what drive I'm looking for?

2. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I doubt any hard drive is going to make any noticeable difference in battery life. I've read where they have compared 7200rpm drives against SSD drives and only come away with a 5% difference in battery life. Choosing your hard drive based on battery life is like chosing your radio based on potential electricity savings in your home.

But in general, SSD drives are slightly more energy efficient since there are no moving parts.

3. seydurin thread starter macrumors member

You're probably right, but I read somewhere (tom's hardware, maybe?) that the momentus XT at least had a noticable affect on their battery life. IDK if it was a fluke, but it kinda made me weary of battery life affects.

a 512gb+ SSD is way way way out of my pricerange.