Hard drive to TV (or DVD Player)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mercsadies, May 14, 2008.

1. Mercsadies macrumors newbie

Hello -

I am wondering if there is some kind of connector to go from a USB hard drive to a TV or DVD player. I have 5 external hard drives and I would like to watch movies that I have made (but not burned) on the TV. I would also like to take it along with me to show others.

Right now what I have is too big to fit on one disc and I guess I could put it on a duel disc but I would rather not.

I saw that there were "special" hard drives that already do this. But is there a way to take a regular hard drive and do this?

Thanks,
    Mercsadies

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Those "special" hard drives would have to be simplified computers. With an integrated OS, probably Linux, and software specially designed to read the hard drives file system and various media types. It would also need connectors to output audio and video. A standard external hard drive does not have any of these capabilities.

The best you could probably do is to build a PC in a small case out of the cheapest components available and install Linux.

3. macdot macrumors 6502

Nah, there are "media center" enclosures for HDD. I think thinkgeek.com had one a while back...

However, I remember the enclosure itself being a few hundred bucks. Might just want to get a Mac Mini.