Hard drive to TV Problem?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by palomino0220, Dec 2, 2009.

1. palomino0220 macrumors newbie

Alright I have a 1tb hard drive from acomdata and I was having issues with transferring over 4gb. So i reformatted the drive and now i am able to transfer big amounts of data.

Heres my question, I was doing this because I was hooking up my hard drive to my Samsung LED tv to play bluray movies, but now the tv wont read the hard drive, what do I do?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Most probably the drive was formatted with FAT32 (called MS-DOS in Disk Utility), so the TV was able to read from that drive, but FAT32 limits file sizes to a maximum of 4GB per file.

Assuming you used Disk Utility from Mac OS X to re-format the drive and didn't change the file system from the format selector, the drive is now formatted in HFS+ (Mac OS X Extended), which most likely the TV can't read, as it is not as widely used as FAT32.

Maybe you can try NTFS as a file system the next time, you need MacFuse + NTFS-3G for doing this in Mac OS X, as NTFS is a file system for Windows.
    But with the mentioned software you will be able to format your drive with NTFS and write files bigger than 4GB to it.

Have a look into your TV's manual which file system it supports.

3. palomino0220 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if i use NTFS-3G & macfuse I will only be able to transfer up to 4gb?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

FAT32 - maximum file size 4 GB
    NTFS - maximum file size 16383 TB

5. palomino0220 thread starter macrumors newbie

These are the steps I followed when formatting to HFS+:

1.If you’re formatting a USB drive (external hard drive or memory stick), memory card etc, make sure it’s plugged in. This tutorial will use a USB Thumb Drive as the example. Launch Disk Utility by selecting Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility. Select the drive you want to format from the list on the left. Important: Make sure to select the correct drive. You do not want to format the incorrect one, as formatting will erase all the data on that drive.

Click the Erase tab, and from the Volume Format: list, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Give the drive a name (in my example I named it USB Thumbdrive). When you’re ready, click the Erase… button.

2. You’ll be prompted with a confirmation screen. Click Erase.

Then that pretty much it.

Would you be so kind and tell me how to convert to NTFS.

Its odd because I had already had NTFS-3G for my smaller hard drive and I just installed macfuse yesterday for the 1tb hard drive. If I already had these 2 things then im guessing it didnt work for the 1tb hard drive, no?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MacFuse is a software to enable reading and writing to different file systems under Mac OS X. NTFS-3G is the driver that MacFuse uses to enable writing abilities to NTFS formatted volumes.

If both are installed, one can use Disk Utility to format any drive with NTFS.

[​IMG]

So NTFS is no option for you?

7. palomino0220 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. palomino0220 thread starter macrumors newbie

when i click on the RAID and Partition section of the disk utility, the NTFS-3G option is available ? So why is it not showing up on the Reformatting tab?