Hard Drive Toast - Recommendations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kylos, Feb 6, 2008.

1. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

So the Seagate hard drive in my sister's macbook died and I was wondering if anyone has opinions on the respective quality of Toshiba vs. Seagate. I've checked at newegg and they have a 5400rpm 120 GB Toshiba for $70 after shipping and a 7200rpm 120 GB Seagate for $115 after shipping. She's not a power user, so the 5400rpm drive should suffice, but I would appreciate any opinions on the quality of these drives. Currently, I have 1 failed Seagate and no experience with Toshiba, so I guess the score would be: Toshiba 0 - Seagate -1.

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've never had issues with Toshiba products, and have never read of issues with their products.

3. zkmusa macrumors member

I would spend the little extra for a Seagate drive. These drives come with a 5 year warranty, whereas drives from most of the other manufacturers usually only have 1 year warranties.

So I think the little extra money now will pay itself off in the future.

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

IMO Toshiba laptop drives are GARBAGE. I've had many fail and they are much slower than WD, Hitachi and Seagate...

5. kylos thread starter macrumors 6502a

kylos

Well, the one manufacturer I've not had any success with is Hitachi, so I'm staying away from them.

I've not had any problems with my Seagate drives, but they've not been laptop drives.

With the above member's opinion and the 1 year warranty for Toshiba vs. 5 for Seagate, the Seagate looks like the better option.

Edit: one question more, the newegg drives are listed as OEM. Does that mean that the 5 year warranty is not applicable? That the drive is only covered by Newegg's 30 day policy?

Edit 2: Now that I think about it, the Toshiba in my old 12" PowerBook died less than a year after buying it. So I guess Seagate is looking better.

6. Mac Donald Duck macrumors newbie

buy a segate momentus 5400.4 actually is the best hdd