Hard drive transfer, G5 to Intel

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by atticus1138, Dec 10, 2008.

1. atticus1138 macrumors newbie

I have a G5 PowerMac from 2004 (I can provide more details about the machine if it's necessary), that has essentially broken down and I do not currently have the money to fix it. A friend of mine has a brand new Intel mac pro. I want to install my G5's hard drive as a second hard drive on his Mac Pro.

My questions are:
    1) Is this even possible?
    2) Can I do this without losing the content of my hard disk?
    3) Is there an available guide, or could someone run down the detailed steps, of doing this?

I'm *relatively* computer savvy, so a written guide wouldn't need to be to elementary or anything. Thanks a lot.

2. junior77 macrumors regular

You should be able to install it as the 2nd HD, assuming he has an available HD slot. Another option would be some form of external USB/FW enclosure.

Don't expect to run the OS from your drive, but you should have complete access to the data files.

3. atticus1138 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. So, I won't be required to format the HD?

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

id just make a copy of the documents and data and files on there and use it as a secondary storage drive.
    Group all your data into a folder back it up format the drive and then place them back.

its not recommended to use a PPC OS Install on an intel; atleast not booting from it (but secondary drive/back up, its fine)
    you can try an archive and install that might help and preserve files and have your drive running on that system; might not be problem free, but worth a shot if need be.

Also depending on the time frame you purchased the drive, it may run a bit slower than the other drive if it is a SATA-I drive (150Mbps bandwidth) as opposed to the current 3Mbps Sata drives.

5. atticus1138 thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me be more specific, I have no intention of booting from the G5's hard drive. I just want access to the files via the Mac Pro. I currently have no way to even turn on my G5, so backing up isn't an option without paying someone to do so (as far as I know). What I want is simply to install my G5's HD into the Mac Pro and then have access to the G5's drive and all of the data on it. So, is THAT possible?

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Absolutely.
    No reason why it shouldnt.

I was just giving option in case you wanted to boot from there in the event it should arise.
    but yes, sticking the drive into the MacPro and accessing it should be good to go.

PS.
    You can back up your data/clone your drive with SuperDuper for free to another drive or to a DMG file itself to apply to another drive later in time.

:)

7. atticus1138 thread starter macrumors newbie