Hard drive type!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ColinScatt, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ColinScatt macrumors newbie

So my 14" iBook G4 1.07ghz Logic Board failed and I just got a new MacBook. I have removed the hard drive and want to throw it into a hard drive enclosure to access mt shtuff. Question A. I knwo the HD is ATA...Do IDE and ATA have the samme connector or something? A ton of hard drive enclosures that I see aer IDE/ATA. Will that work? Also B. Do I need to do anything to the drive, to simulate starting in target disk mode or anything? Or will having it in the enclosure and plugged in by USB handle that?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Colin

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

With external enclosures, ATA=IDE in this case. It's essentially saying that it's a ParallelATA setup, as opposed to the SATA connectors we have now.

As far as modes, just plug the HD into the enclosure, then the enclosure to the computer and that should do it.

3. TheScavenger macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

Different names for the same thing. Some companies call it IDE, some call it ATA or PATA.

4. ColinScatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha.

Thanks for clearing that up. Figured that was probably the case but didn't know anything to say so definitively. Now what about this question?