Hard drive unreadable after indexing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by londonweb, Apr 24, 2009.

1. londonweb macrumors 6502

londonweb

Hello,

I've recently switched to Intel and OS 10.5, and when I plug my Iomega hard disk in, all seems well until Spotlight finishes indexing it, after which I can't see any of the files, only the top level folder structure.

If I plug it back into my PB G4 and repair the permissions (although the repair may not be the thing that's helping, possibly just the process of mounting it on this machine fixes it, as no problems are found during verification), when I plug it back into the MacBook it works, but again only until the indexing has finished, then once again everything disappears, I just get the spinny thing and eventually have to relaunch the Finder.

I also have a Toshiba HD which I'm doing the same thing with (ie. switching between the G4 and the MBP) but that doesn't cause the same problem...

I've tried searching Apple's site and the forums here but can't find anything to explain it.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The first thing I'd try is updating the drive's firmware, if there's a firmware updater available for it. Check the manufacturer's website. I'd post a link for you, but I'd need to know the model of the drive first.

3. londonweb thread starter macrumors 6502

londonweb

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried the Iomega website but they seems adamant no driver or firmware updates are required (nor available) for my drive.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Failing that, try adding the drive to Spotlight's "no-index" list. Also, check the drive for file system damage with Disk Utility.

5. londonweb thread starter macrumors 6502

londonweb

I've run disk utility from the G4 and it was fine, so I'll try excluding it from spotlight and then run it from the MBP as well.

Thanks for your help