Hard drive upgrade advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benoit56, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Benoit56 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Im new to this forum, so hello!

Ive had a macbook pro for about 3 years now, its the aluminium case model 17" screen Intel 2.5ghz, 4gb DDR2 ram.

I am a music producer / dj so I have a massive collection of music & samples etc on my hard drive, and it is now full.

I have a 1tb backup drive which I use with time machine, but I want to have a bigger internal hard drive so I can keep all my stuff onboard. Im looking for at least 750gb @7200rpm.

Can you advise the best drive / place to get what im after.

PS im from the UK.

Cheers

2. Stev0lution macrumors member

I can't really point you towards a HDD since I'm not familiar w/ UK pricing, but I thought I'd throw this out there: Do you use your optical drive often? If not, you might want to look into installing an optibay HDD if you're running out of storage room.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4. Benoit56 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Benoit56 thread starter macrumors newbie

I havent heard about these before, am I right in saying it is an additional drive rather than a replacement? Whats the pro's & con's?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It is noticeable but if you're using the HD mainly as storage, then it will be fine. If you use e.g. Logic, then a faster HD would speed things up but in general usage, the difference ain't that big. Besides, the more you have free space, the faster it is so it's better to have 1TB with 700GB filled than 750GB with 700GB filled.

It will replace the SuperDrive. That way you would have two internal HDs, resulting up to 1.75TB of internal storage (OptiBay can only fit 9.5mm HD IIRC). Pros are that you gain more internal storage but the con is that you lose the ODD. If you don't need the ODD, then it's fine but if you play music from CDs sometimes, then the ODD is useful for you.

7. Benoit56 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh I think I'll stick with a hd replacement then. Think the 1TB is gonna be the baby.

Thanks very much for you advice & help, much appreciated & all the best for NY