hard drive upgrade and warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calvy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

So, I got me a cheap santa rosa macbook pro and upgraded to the 320GB seagate drive as mentioned in another thread here. I was planning on taking the 120GB drive that was inside it originally and sticking it in my first gen Macbook Pro to replace it's 100GB drive, just to make it a little better for the buyer. But now I'm worried about my warranty, and the warranty left on my older machine which I intend to sell to someone, with the apple care warranty attached again as a selling point. So I don't want to void their warranty by swapping the drive out too.

What's the real rule from Apple here? Can I really not swap the hard drive without voiding the warranty? If that's the case, I'm thinking I should keep my 120GB around to put back in in case I have to get it serviced by apple.

2. PDE macrumors 68020

Please search. This topic comes up almost every other day and has been answered, and re-answered, hundreds of times!

3. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

Well if the person your selling it to is able just give them the extra hard drive that way incase they have problems they could just change it.And also were did you buy that 320gb?and how much?-Thanks

4. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your help. One would think that if you were willing to take the time to be snarky, you could also take the extra 10 seconds to answer my question. Or point me to one of the so many threads you claim exist. I did search, and got nothing but junk back. I did finally find another one just now that seems to state as long as you don't screw anything up inside, you are fine with your warranty. But one person said they kept the old hard drive just in case they had to send it in to apple.

So my question still remains. If I should need warranty work in the future, and I sent it in with a hard drive that I didn't purchase it with, are they going to refuse me service?

Also, I got my drive from newegg for 160 bucks after coupon. 180 is their normal price.