Hard Drive Upgrade, Boot Camp, Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Link00seven, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Link00seven macrumors regular

I just recently upgraded my Santa Rosa Macbook Pro's hard drive to a Western Digital 320GB 7200RPM drive. So far it's working great. After I installed the hard drive I ran a benchmark (xBench, newest version) and my score was around 128-133 on average.

I went ahead and installed Windows 7 via Boot Camp. Everything's working great. Bit later I ran xBench again. My scores tanked (specifically in the hard drive department). Overall score is around 80 now. What the hell happened? Could the partition/Windows 7 install caused an issue? I've ran Disk Utility and the drive is reporting that it's okay. And in terms of actually using it (opening programs, etc) it seems just as snappy.

Any ideas on this one?

EDIT: I reran a test in Windows and it hasn't fluctuated so perhaps that's a good sign. I'm thinking it's something caused by the partitioning, or something specific in Snow Leopard. Any tool that has both a Windows and Mac version so I can test performance on both systems with the same program?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The partitioning has nothing to do with the score or shouldn't (don't see how it would). Are you sure you weren't running something in the background?

3. Link00seven thread starter macrumors regular

I've heard that sometimes Spotlight indexing constantly can cause slowdowns. Would it be possible for me to make sure that spotlight isn't trying to index the Windows partition each time I boot between the two OS's?