Hard drive upgrade for MB or MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bms259, Sep 22, 2009.

1. bms259 macrumors member

I currently have an early 08 Blackbook, but some circumstances presented themselves to possibly upgrade to a MBP (probably 13in) and I am considering doing that.

I was told that upgrading the hard drive in my current MB would help me to see some performance upgrades in some media intensive programs I used frequently. While I don't understand how that works, I will be needing more space soon anyway, so I am planning on upgrading.

What are some of the best options for a HD upgrade that will working in my MB or a MBP if I upgrade. Specifically, advice about the 5400rpm and 7200rpm differences would be awesome.

This is what I am looking at now.
    Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Looks good to me.

A 7200 RPM drive will particularly affect startup times, but will generally make your computer more responsive. You will also see faster speeds copying between sectors on the same drive, such as between partitions.

5400 (and slower) drives draw slightly less power, and are usually cheaper. If you have no problems with the computer's current speed I'd go for a 5400 RPM.

I'm not sure how drive longevity compares. My intuition says that the MTBF (mean time between failures) of 5400 RPM drives is slightly higher, but I've never seen any information to back up that theory.

3. bms259 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I will probably go with the 5400rpm.

Am I right in that the 2.5" hard drives will work in either the early 08 MB and the MBP's?