Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaws01

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I need more space in my macbook and they have a sale at my local best buy here in Canada for a 120 GB Fujitsu laptop hard drive. What are do you guys think about using a Fujitsu in my macbook?

nermal0

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Germany
I can recommend the 120 GB Western Digital SATA drive which I'm using in my MB. It's fast and dead silent!

Retired
May 16, 2006
I am in London. I am looking for a HD of around that size for my macbook. Where should I buy a HD (cheap/reliable) and what model should I get?

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
I replaced 2 fujitsu hard drives in 2 different iBooks. I would stay away from them. These drives had light use, and no abuse and still failed in the same way, slow death.

Seagate or Western Digital would be the way to go.

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
I need more space in my macbook and they have a sale at my local best buy here in Canada for a 120 GB Fujitsu laptop hard drive. What are do you guys think about using a Fujitsu in my macbook?

I just did a similar upgrade by going to Costco and purchasing the WD Passport 120gb. If you're in Toronto head over to the Markham Costco. You can remove the SATA drive that inside and install it in your Macbook. Worked great for me! Just note that some drives are not EIDE and it is very much luck of the draw which drive you actually get although most of the Costco's seems to carry SATA drives now.

Incidentally a lot of local computer shops have started carrying 120gb SATA 2.5" drives for around $120.

My recommendation is NOT to buy from Best Buy. They're often obnoxiously overpriced.

To answer your original question though, there should be no problem putting a 120gb Fujitsu drive.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I had to replace the original disk on my MacBook, after it just died without a warning. I think that was a Fujitsu... the replacement is a Toshiba, and so far it seems to be working...

I am in London. I am looking for a HD of around that size for my macbook. Where should I buy a HD (cheap/reliable) and what model should I get?
I'm considering getting this one. Trying to wait for a 200+ GB disk (I have a 120 now), and preferably a Seagate Momentus, but I'm quickly running out of space, and I'm not sure I'll be able to wait... :eek:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I like the Seagate Momentus drives - 5 year warranty. 120 Mb 8 Mb cache 5400 RPM CAN$159

Gotta watch BestBuy - they sometimes rebrand the drives under the "Pine" label and you only get 1 year warranty because they are OEM drives.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Screw WD, get seagate, I was vouching for WD bcz of cheap price.. until my 250 died on me and only had a 2 year warranty. Seagates have 5 years as mentioned above, they are more reliable and much better value.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Just got and installed my new Seagate 7200 sata... works perfect.:D

100GB? I'm sure you notice a performance increase but what about temp? does it run hotter or the same?

One more question, where did you buy it and how much? I'm in the market for a HD, looking at either Seagate or Hitachi 160GB

Reel1

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2006
Onatrio, Canada
I purchased the HD a small computer store near my home. The price 168. canadian.

If I have done my homework correctly, currently the 100g is the largest 7200 sata drive you can get for a laptop.

Heat what heat? :cool: at present the temp is 52c which is close to what it was with the 60G, This is also while running parallels, word, safari and reading some of these posts.

So far So good...

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Went with the Seagate. I guess I really don't need the 160 since I already have an external...it was tempting though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.