Hard Drive Upgrade Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RsBddy929, Aug 24, 2010.

1. RsBddy929 macrumors newbie

RsBddy929

I am interested in getting a hard drive upgrade for my 3.5 year old 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro.

Right now I am mostly wondering what everyone's opinions are of Seagate vs. Western Digital? I've heard that the Seagate's are much quieter, but I am seeing much better reviews for the WD.

This is the one I am looking at. Any advice anyone can give me would be amazing.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=6449957&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Thank you!

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

3. RsBddy929 thread starter macrumors newbie

RsBddy929

Thanks, any particular reason? Or have you just had good luck with those brands?

4. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I've had good luck with them. I have 4 Seagate drives, 2 internal and 2 external, and each has been running for at least a year, the internals for about 5 years. I also have 2 Hitachi drives, the one in my MBP (which has been perfect) and one in another PC.

At one point I did have 3 Western Digital drives. One had an over heating problem, and the other 2 failed. That said, I had the WD drives about 8 years ago, so WD may have changed by now.

5. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I've been tempted to get a Momentus XT for myself, but some of the horror stories I've read has made me wary. It seems like the first batch was generally bad, but it appears Seagate has got it together now.

6. nwbusa macrumors regular

I've had very good luck with newer WD HDDs... currently running the 1 TB internal, and it is very quiet and reliable. Ran the 500GB model for a couple of years before I upgraded to the 1 TB, and it was rock solid as well. Also using several external WD drives, all with zero problems over the last couple of years.

7. RsBddy929 thread starter macrumors newbie

RsBddy929

Where did you manage to find a 1TB? I haven't been able to find one actually.

8. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Right here. Be aware that it's a 5200 RPM drive, which is going to be slow (during HDD intensive tasks), and it's a little taller than most.

If you're interested, WD has a 750GB drive and Seagate has a 640GB drive, both of which run at 5400 RPM. The WD has a 3 year warranty and is more expensive. The Seagate has a 5 year warranty and is less expensive.

9. devan963 macrumors newbie

I have tried both, both the 7200rpm models, WD Black was returned because it clicked (could have been a one off) I then tried the Seagate Momentus and it was audible and vibrated.

Assuming the WD was just faulty I would suggest WD, I have purchased several WD and one i have an issue with at about the 2.5year mark, WD send me a replacement H/D let me transfer data across then i returned the faulty one.

Dont know about Seagate's warranty procedure, only owned the one i sent back.

10. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

I would think that the slower 5400 1TB drive would be able to keep up with a 7200 500GB drive.

I upgraded my sister's 3.5 year old Macbook to the Momentus 500gb 7200 and she is pleased with the speed up from her 80 gb drive. Had I known about the XT I would have purchased that instead as it is much faster still. Considering that this will probably be the only hard drive upgrade you will do to this machine I would thing the XT is a good choice (assuming 500GB is enough storage space). The next time you will need a hard drive upgrade I would guess you would just be looking to buy a new computer.

s.

11. RsBddy929 thread starter macrumors newbie

RsBddy929

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to go for the Seagate Momentus XT. I will let you know how it works.

12. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

hello i brought this thread back to life through a search. i'm looking to upgrade my HD in my mid-09 13 inch MBP.

I've read TONS on the seagate hybrid. OK, so I get this may be a stupid question, BUT how does the seagate SSD Hybrid handle being partitioned?

I'll be installing win7 via bootcamp so I can run quickbooks. I can do this on the hybrid HD right? I'm assuming the SSD portion of the drive doesn't get partitioned, but it can still be used when booting up win7 and launch quickbooks?

Just curious, sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm researching my options right now