Hard Drive Upgrade=Less Battery Life?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by donster28, Dec 15, 2008.

1. donster28 macrumors 6502a

I recently posted my experience upgrading my Aluminum MB's HD to a Seagate 320gig 72000rpm...it's easy as pie so to speak.

But I noticed recently that my battery empties faster than normal. I have not calibrated it yet so it might get better after doing so.

This is my first HD upgrade on a laptop so I am not really sure. Although logic seems to point to this being the norm...what do you guys think? :)

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Hmmm... Faster Hard drive = More energy used = Less Battery life.... That seems about right, unless I'm missing something? :confused:

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Seems exactly right. Did you check the specs on the old and the new disk drive? Slowing the platters down is a good way to save energy. That is why 5400 ropm drives are popular. They can be as fast as 7200 rpm. It all depends on the bit density.

But any way you do it, larger drives do typically use more power.

4. donster28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you

Thanks for your quick replies.

I think we're in agreement. The faster drives do eat up more power. I didn't immediately account for this when I thought of upgrading. I just wanted more speed and space. We can't have our cake and eat it too I guess. :(

Thanks again. :)

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

You might like to adjust your power profile to drop the hdd faster so it doesn't spend all its time spinning around.

6. donster28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll check on it...thanks drichards. :)