Hard drive upgrade, OS install question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChrisR01, Jun 13, 2012.

1. ChrisR01 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody
    **** First of all I have a late 2010 Macbook Pro 2.52GHz i5 500GB hard drive, 4gb of rams, running the latest version of Lion. Im looking into upgrading my hard drive soon with the Seagate Momentus 750gb XT, Seagate Barracuda 1tb, or WD Cavier Black 1tb still weighing pros and cons if you have any feedback im all ears.
    ***** However when it comes time to swap out my hard drive I become confused on how to reload the operating system. My Macbook Pro came standard with Snow Leopard, and from there I upgraded to Lion through the app store. I wanted to start out fresh with my new hard drive just transfer my music, photos, and other info over from my time machine backup. I was wondering when it comes time to load the operating system can I load Snow Leopard from the recovery disc and then from there reload Lion from my app store ? Or is there a legit way to make a recovery disc of Lion that way when it comes time to reload the operating system I can use a USB drive or Hard drive with the Lion OS already on there and load the operating system that way?
    Thank You

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

An easy approach is to buy the new drive in an external enclosure. Then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your internal drive to the new one. Then swap the drives. Your old drive now becomes useful as an external drive for backups or additional storage.

3. ChrisR01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok let me ask this when it comes time to load the operating system can I load Snow Leopard from the recovery disc provided when I bought the computer and then from there reload Lion from my app store by clicking Option then purchases on the app store, and then allowing it to reload lion onto my machine?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you use CCC to clone your drive, that includes your OS, apps, recovery partition and all user data. You don't need to reinstall anything.