Hard Drive Upgrade Path...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by whyrichard, Nov 27, 2009.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello!

I have a new mac pro quad, I am going to begin adding hard drives to the thing...

Eventually I would like the startup disk to be off of a solid state hard drive, but not quite yet (they are still sooo $$!). I am thinking of a harddrive path of several phases....

First -Add another 500gb harddrive to use as my bootcamp partition...
    Later -Raid the two 500gb harddrives into the mac startup, using a 1.5 tero hd for both bootcamp and timemachine
    Eventually -get a 500gb solid state for the startupdisk, using the raid as the storage, the 1.5 as the timemachine, and another drive for bootcamp...

whacha think? does this make any sense?

thanks,

r.

2. akadmon macrumors 68010

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I agree with akadmon. You should look at bigger drives because they are faster than smaller drives.

Buy a 1 TB, 1,5 TB or 2 TB drive, whatever you can afford.

Clone OS X on that drive. Partition the drive with bootcamp and install Windows.

Use the stock drive for backup and buy the next drive before you run out of backup space.

Only when you have covered backup use an added drive to have separate OS X and Windows drives. Get into the habit of backing up the Windows drive as well. You can do it with Winclone. Winclone can also be used to clone your Windows partition to its own drive when you have a sufficient number of drives.

Only start RAID drives when you have covered separate backup and Bootcamp drives.

4. akadmon macrumors 68010

Also, why do you need 500 GB for Boot Camp? I'd say 250GB partition (not a seperate drive) should be plenty. The next release of Bootcamp is rumored to allow R/W access to your Mac formatted drives from Windows. I do it today using MacDrive.

5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

7. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

The 7200.11 is a pile of crap. Get the 7200.12. Its faster, the price difference is minimal and reliability is 10-fold better.