Hard Drive Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jazojas12, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Ok I know there's a ton of these threads but I'm still a little confused about things after reading everything and maybe this will help someone else. Here it goes...I just purchased one of the new MBP(Mid09) and it currently has the 160GB hard drive. I want to upgrade to the 500GB WD Scorpio Blue hdd.

Since Snow Leopard will be coming out and I'll purchase the new hdd around that time, what should I do about SL install? Throw the new drive in and do a clean install and transfer everything over? Install SL on the 160GB and just clone it? Also is there any issues with cloning? Would it be better to just reinstall/transfer everything I have? So Basically what is the best way to get SL and all my junk onto the new drive? If I clone what should I use? CarbonCopyCloner?

I keep reading about EFI 1.7 and problems. How do I go about the firmware without it being a problem? Will SL already have it or is that something that needs to be updated? If it has it would I be able to downgrade the firmware?

Thanks in advance :D

2. napalmit, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013

napalmit macrumors newbie

I have the 500GB WD Scorpio Blue hdd in my machine right now, and I installed the firmware without any problems...

3. Jazojas12 thread starter macrumors regular

4. MacDawg, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2013

MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Bumping is frowned on at MR ;)

If it were me, I would do a fresh install of SL on the new drive and use Migration Assistant to pull my data over from the old HD

I don't think you will create any problems by cloning and restoring, and I have done that several times myself, but you have an opportunity here to do a fresh install and migration with minimal trouble... I would do it

The Firmware issue seems to be sporadic, so I can't comment on that
    I would hope by the time SL is released, that will no longer be an issue

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. Jazojas12 thread starter macrumors regular

ok cool, thanks. yeah i just bumped it because it's been over 12 hours and i see thread started a couple hours ago with 20 replies.

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Wait, so you can use Migration Assistant by connecting any external USB drives with your old hard drive in it? What is Migration Assistant exactly? Sorry for thread jacking lol.

7. Jazojas12 thread starter macrumors regular

no worries, now i'm curious. which made me think of another question. should i buy an external hard drive case and do things that way. or throw the new drive in the MBP and install the OS then?

8. MacDawg, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2013

MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Some issues get a quicker, larger response and others do get overlooked
    But they are usually addressed

Unfortunately, at the present time it requires either Firewire, Ethernet or a network connection
    USB is not supported with Migration Assistant

See the info here on Migration Assistant

I would buy a Firewire case and use it... a little more expensive, but Firewire is worth it in my opinion

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]