Hard Drive upgrade tips

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gerri Shin, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Gerri Shin macrumors member

I'm planning to upgrade my hard drive in my early '08 MBP next week. I have a pretty goo idea of what to do thanks to iFixit.com, but I was wondering if any of those who have already done these types of upgrades to non-unibody apple notebooks could give me a few tips or things to really watch out for.

(If you also wanted to give me tips about replacing the Hard Drive in a Powerbook G4, I'll be doing that next month after I get my brother's dead PBG4 from him)

thanks!

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

careful with the torx screwdriver!! a friend of mine stuck it thru the processor when replacing his hard drive.:eek:

3. ekoe macrumors member

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

Careful pulling the flat cable off of the top of the hard drive. I kind of bent mine a little bit and now it has a permanent crease in it. It still works, but I'm sure if I bent it just a little bit more it would stop working.

5. dave12345 macrumors regular

its an easy job - follow the ifixit instructions and you can't go wrong - make sure you get the correct tools and use a spudger to pry open the casing and carefully remove the ribbon cable from the top of the harddrive. Use a couple of pieces of A4 paper and draw dots where the screws go to make sure they all go back in the right places!

6. Gerri Shin thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies everyone! let's keep them coming, I'm sure these will help not only myself, but other beginner up-graders as well.

(btw Ekoe, I have an Early '08 MacBook Pro, the model directly previous to the unibody revision)

7. ekoe macrumors member

I kept a digital camera nearby. Just take a pic of everything as you go. It's quicker and more detailed than any drawing you might make.

Be sure to observe electro-static discharge technique. Wear an ESD wriststrap, attached to the laptop chassis.

Be especially careful with any 'ribbon' cable, as they're delicate. This is often assumed in delivering instructions, but 'DON'T FORCE ANYTHING'. Look and learn.

The hard drive mount screws are mush. Remove them with a pair of small pliers, don't use the screwdriver or torx on them.

Once you have it installed, you must format the drive in HFS+ journaled (extended). This is done in disk utility by selecting the new drive and choosing 'Erase'.

Otherwise, OS X will not install on the new drive.

If you follow these, and other points you can discover in any quick google search, you can't really fail.

8. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

Lay the screws out in a logical order as they all start looking the same.

9. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Is your machine still under warranty? If so, be careful because it can void your warranty to do it yourself. Otherwise, go for it, but be very careful.

10. Gerri Shin thread starter macrumors member

well I got my Macbook Pro up and running perfectly with a New WD Scorpio Blue 500GB drive. thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to search for this page again when I go to upgrade my bro's PB next month.

@Ekoe: thanks for the pointers, everything went well, the only ribbon cable I disconnected from the logic bard was the hard drive cable, I propped up the upper case assembly using 2 new pencils. it was surprisingly stable and allowed me the access room I needed to work. all I did after was power it up, pop in my restore disc, formate and install after that I just used the migration utility to transfer everything from my old drive to my new one, the whole process took less than 2 hours.

@wetrix: I actually used one of those compartment boxes that you can get for $3 at walmart to separate out the screws. I separated them by RAM shield, Back Panel including the 2 from inside the battery compartment, and then a third for the outside edge screws. I kept the locking bracket and the torx screws for it together on the lid of the box. (It's really handy to have a little eyeglasses screwdrivers for those 2 screws inside the battery compartment otherwise the screws just don't go in straight)

@pdxflint: I actually called up Applecare before doing the upgrade and spoke to them about i, they said as long as nothing gets broken I'm still covered. They won't cover the new hard drive if it fails, but if I keep the original drive and reinstall that if I ever need service on other parts in my computer, I should have no problems. (I got an external enclosure with my new drive, so keeping the original drive won't be a problem, neither will re-installing it if some other part goes bad.)

Again thanks for the tips everyone, they were most helpful!

11. ekoe macrumors member

12. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Well, that's good to know about the Applecare. That's the way it should be. Just remember the same goes for your memory if you replace it - make sure to put back the original if sending in for service, or you could lose it. And good job on the HD upgrade. I have the same drive since yesterday in my MBP, and so far it's just perfect.

I've also heard conflicting information about this (do-it-yourself HD upgrade issue) from some quarters. I guess it all boils down to when something goes wrong later, and someone wants to make an issue out of it - which is what would worry me. They'll look for some excuse to blame the customer for some prior 'damage' or policy violation, etc. and even if it's not related. One screw in the wrong place, one cable slightly kinked, on and on... you get the drift.

Anyway, I'm glad things worked out for you, and I appreciate your additional feedback on the Applecare issue. Cheers.

13. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hard Drive upgrades DEFINATELY void the warranty.

so my friend installed the same wd scorpio hd and took it to the apple store due to a display problem. The genius noticed the HD upgrade and asked him if he did it himself. He said yes and the genius responded that that voided the warranty! Even on a totally unrelated component! Beware everyone!

Update: I actually looked at the fine print and the wording is kinda vague. it doesen't explicitly state that it voids the warranty but leaves them enough wiggle room to refuse...