Hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nduetime, Sep 29, 2010.

1. nduetime macrumors newbie

is there any reason this wouldn't work in my mbp ('07)?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, that HDD has the maximum height of 9.5mm, thus it fits size-wise.

3. nduetime thread starter macrumors newbie

Any thoughts if it would be a good choice? My old drive crashed awhile ago and now I have the money to replace. It was the factory drive. Looking for nothing less in capicity, something that won't produce much heat and fairly quiet.

I do some rendering and am curious if the 32 cache will make a considerable diference over the 8 I'm looking in other choices.

4. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

I say spend a couple of extra bucks and get the 500GB. then move it of you get a new notebook.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you want a bigger difference, I'd go with a 7200 RPM drive with 16MB cache, although they are a bit more expensive.

EDIT - I agree with below post. I have that exact drive, and it is excellent.

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I recommend this drive because it gives a little pep to your MacBook and it's only $10 more. I've used this in a 1,1 and my current 5,1 models and it performed well.

7. nduetime thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking of staying with a 5400 because of the lower temps and sound. I also want a 500gb dive or higher.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

From my personal experience, my 7200 is actually cooler than the 5400 I took out. I haven't noticed a real difference in sound either. But if you are wanting a 5400, there are a lot more options for size

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Whew... That is good. I just bought a Hitachi 7K500 7200RPM 500GB 16MB cache drive. I just wish it had 32mb cache..... But, I don't have it yet... But it should be a great upgrade from my 5400RPM 320GB 8mb cache Seagate drive... I would recommend getting the Hitachi drive that I mentioned. This is the drive I have. This is the drive that I ordered. I snatched it up yesterday for $59.99 with mail in rebate. But, that expired (as most offers on Newegg do). I am glad that I got it when I did.

10. nduetime thread starter macrumors newbie

I had read many reviews that many MBP users are required to use "hdapm" to quiet the drive down. I was hoping to avoid that. I'm not opposed to a 7200 but am not thrilled with the potential for higher temps and louder noise. I read that it may be cooler than a 5400 but I've also read on the newegg reviews that they run warmer too. I just want to get something cool and quiet which what I had found with the initial dive I posted.