Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TCrowe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Glen Ellen, CA.
Can anyone tell me if there are new hard drives available for 2006 1,1 Mac Pros or where to find a warrantied and really good refurbished. I am interested in SSD and more Gigs storage.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
You should be good with most SATA drives, the newer larger capacity drives you may have trouble mounting them in the drive sleds and with a reboot I think it is. Some of them need a cold boot (machine fully off) for the drive to be recognized. These from memory are the really large ones over the 4TB size. To use SATA SSD in your machine you will need an adapter to use with the drive to mount it properly. I tried once with mine putting it in with tape holding it in place I did not like the result and stopped that. Not that it worked badly just I did not like the flimsy mounting option I had done. Good luck with your updates.

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
^^^ Yep. You can also buy trays designed for such large-capacity hard drives. The location of the standard screw mounting holes changed at some point, so the drive trays the Mac Pros shipped with will not hold large-capacity drives.

The new trays are not expensive and can be found from a handful of vendors, including Other World Computing. I do not recommend trying to mount a large drive without such a tray. Using tape isn't that secure (I've done this, too). You can destroy your Mac Pro's logic board and it's not worth that kind of risk to save $20 on a tray.

TCrowe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Glen Ellen, CA.
Thanks for the replies. I need to replace the optical drives first to see what I've got to work with. Those are on order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.