Hard Drive vibration, why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sup3r1or, Sep 16, 2010.

1. sup3r1or macrumors regular

I recently changed the stock Hitachi 250 GB 5400 rpm drive to WD 500 GB Scorpio black 7200 rpm drive.

Now it was perfectly fine, no vibration or noise, just like the previous one. However now about a week past, I can feel it vibrating and that equals to the vibrations i get when I put a cd into my drive. It is kind of annoying. IS this normal? I know the drive is faster in RPM but as WD said it equals to 5400 by noise and vibrations and it was fine just a week back. (BTW Im running on a battery).

There is one thing though that bothers my mind, when I changed the drive, there were those 4 mounting screws which I didnt have screwdriver for. I took it from my friend but I think I did not screw one of the mounting screws to the very end. Can that be a reason?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Yes.

3. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

Whats the name of that screwdriver? I went to shop twice and bought the wrong one every time

4. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

T6 Torx Screwdriver

5. bamf macrumors 6502

Grab that and get that screw right - that should fix your issue. Did that once myself on accident...

6. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Yes

7. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

No, it did not help, I re-checked all the screws:(

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If all the screws are in place and you're just feeling the vibration now or it just appeared, either the drive is faulty or it's always been like that and you're just noticing it now. Like many 7200 RPM drives, a lot of users have complained about it, some don't have it or don't even mind it. Had a Seagate 7200 drive and it was not tolerable at all. Depending on how severe it is (we don't know for sure) you might learn to deal with it or try to get a replacement.

9. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

7200rpm, thats not going to be silent, its going to get quite loud at points. but hey, when it comes down to performance it beats speed.