"Hard Drive was found corrupt."

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tobindia, Jul 8, 2011.

1. tobindia macrumors member

I'm not having any problems, but I just ran the Verify option of Disk utility, and it said:

“Invalid volume file count
    (It should be 488658 instead of 488661)
    Invalid volume directory count
    (It should be 137509 instead of 137506)
    The volume Hard Drive was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
    Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.”

How worried should I be? Will this resolve itself when I install Lion, or should I fix it 1st on Snow Leopard? If I need to reinstall Snow Leopard, what do I use for a bootable disk? Will a reinstall wipe out my files? I do regular backups, but obviously, I've never had to do a reinstall. I have a Macbook, running OS X 10.6.7.

Please help.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well first run disk utility from the boot disk to try and repair the HDD. As long as you keep backups you should be fine if you have to reinstall the OS.

But it sounds like you should consider getting a new HDD before it's too late.

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

You should NEVER install a new OS on top of an existing one if there are problems with the disk structure, thats asking for trouble, fix it first.