Hard Drive weird?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by immortalbeast, Dec 29, 2007.

1. immortalbeast macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have bootcamp installed and am wondering why my hard drive is supposed to be 160gb and osx is only saying its a 149.05gb hard drive. Also if i click on more info on the hard drive icon on the desktop it only says capacity 120gb.

So... where is the other 11.95gb of the hard drive in the first place and also more to the point why is it only saying my hard drive is 120gb when i click on the hard drive on the desktop.

I did install vista on the bootcamp but then deleted it off and resized the patition in bootcamp.

Matt

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

Firstoff, the hard drive has 160GB according to the sales department of the company who deal solely in decimals (1GB = 1000MB, 1MB = 1000kb, 1kb = 1000 bytes), however the Hardware manufacturers (and computers) deal in binary (1GB = 1024MB, 1MB = 1024kb, 1kb = 1024 bytes). After all is said and done a manufacturers GB is actually about .93 binary gigabytes (rounded down) so for a 160GB HD you get about (148.8 usable GB, which you have)

Now for your other problem, it sounds like the bootcamp utility did not do its job correctly (I am guessing that you had a windows partition of about 35-40GB). Try the demo of iPartition to see what that gives you for the hard drive.

3. immortalbeast thread starter macrumors newbie

Spot On!!

Thanks for the info about 1gb = 1024mb etc etc

Matt