Hard drive window keeps re-opening after closing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ninthgen, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Ninthgen macrumors newbie

I did an Apple software update today and ever since I cannot keep the hard window closed. That is, the window automatically opens, I close it and it re-opens about a minute or two later. If I leave it open, it re-appears on top of all other window/applications that I am working on. Sort of like an annoying pop-up that you can't get rid of.

Here's the interesting twist. This happens only when I am logged in as the primary user (password protected). This isn't happening when logged in my guest user mode (no password).

Is this a PRAM issue? Is it a preferences problem?

If so, any ideas how to reset these on my iBook (circa 2003).

Thanks

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Try repairing your permissions via Disk Utility perhaps?

3. Ninthgen thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point and I should have mentioned that I did repair the permissions using disk utility software, then re-started. Still no change -- problems continues.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

5. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I would suggest installing the Mac OS X 10.5.6 Combo Update. That tends to fix lots of little issues, it may fix yours.

Link: http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10-5-6_Combo_Update

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

7. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

8. Ninthgen thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I did the 10.4.11 update -- twice and also re-did Disk Repair again (just in case the permissions got mixed up during the update). The finder (hard disk) window is no longer popping open unexpectedly; HOWEVER, the problem has mutated. Now the window or application I am working on goes 'inactive' about every minute or so -- it's like someone clicked outside of the active window and activates the finder (or desktop) space. So, I can type for a minute or so, then I have to re-click inside the open window to continue typing. This is really weird.

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Semi wild guess here but since you mention 10.4.11 I'm betting you also recently (like right around the time this probem started) updated to the latest QuickTime version 7.6.

If that is the case, check your System Preferences for a pref pane in the bottom section called StuffIt AVR. If that exists, open it and set it to "Off" and your problem should vanish!;)