Hard drive won't boot, how long does Diskwarrior take?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonahwell, Apr 2, 2012.

1. jonahwell macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I purchased a new 750GB hard drive from the Apple store and fitted it myself. I then used Time Machine to restore data from my previous hard drive. This worked fine, but I then wasn't able to back up, it would always get stuck after some time and throw up and error message. I ignored this for a few weeks and backed up only important files using Dropbox.

However, I then started troubleshooting the issue more thoroughly and tried to use Carbon Clone Copy to create a clone of my hard drive. This, too, threw up an error message and seemed to point towards a specific file. It would then continue, but make little to no progress.

One time when I was trying to clone my drive, it completely froze up my computer. To get away from this, I held the power button to power down my computer. After this, the hard drive wouldn't mount. When I inserted and booted from my OS X DVD, Disk Utility was unable to repair the disk due to a "B-Node Tree" error. I figured that the TOC was damaged in turning the unit off during data transfer.

After visiting the Apple store, they suggested that I use Diskwarrior. I installed OS X on an external drive and ran DW 4.4 on 'Macintosh HD'. This brings me to where I am now. It has been running for over 2 days and reports "Speed reduced by disk malfunction: 3,287". I can, however, still move the mouse and the number still ticks up gradually.

Does anyone have any answers to the following?
    - How long shall I allow Diskwarrior to keep trying to rebuild the disk? I know that this varies with computer, but if anyone has experience with a similar drive I would be interested to know.
    - Do the signs point to permanent damage on the drive? Should I be looking to replace it? Was I sold a faulty drive from Apple?
    - Do you believe that Diskwarrior will be able to recover the disk?

I would be massively grateful for any thoughts and opinions as this is holding up my work at the moment.

Cheers!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

First off when you're running Disk Warrior, I recommend you do not use the computer when it's trying to rebuild your directories.

Now how long it takes depends on the size of your volumes. I've used Disk Warrior to rebuild a large RAID and it took about a day to complete the process. If it's telling you the disk has a malfunction, hope that the process is completed sucessfully. In the meantime purchase a new drive and prepare to copy all the important data once the rebuild process is complete.

Finally if there are physical defects with your current drive, the rebuild may fail or you may only be able to access some of the data.

No matter the case, if you have any data that is recovered, backup it immediately and replace the old drive with a new one.

With regards to Disk Warrior: it's very good at rebuilding bad directories. I've lost many drives due to corrupted data or power failures only for Disk Warrior to properly rebuild the volumes. Many of these drives I still use everyday after the rebuild (the drives were tested fine).

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

With that message and timeframe, your drive is shot. However, DiskWarrior may allow you to preview the replacement directory that it would write if it could, and copy data using it's Preview app. As the previous post recommended, have another drive ready to copy the data to if you get the option. It's also possible that DiskWarrior will simply tell you that it can't access the data, though that's rare in my experience (some individual files will likely still not copy, but some files will probably be available).

As for the timeframe, I've seen DiskWarrior run for weeks before, so don't give up just because it's been two days. It doesn't bode well for accessing your data, however, the longer it takes.

jW

4. jonahwell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help!

In terms of copying the data across to a new drive from the exisiting one, I assume that this relies on DiskWarrior completing its process. If I cancel the process at any point, will I have access to a partially rebuilt directory or will it remain as if nothing has been done to the drive (i.e. I will be unable to access any files at all).

The problem that I have is that the original problems were related to being unable to backup. In that process, I reformatted my backup disk suspecting that that was the where problem was. This problem was created ironically in trying to do an initial backup (with the new drive). Worst case scenario, I could revert to the drive that I have in the system before, but that is a few weeks out of date so would be more of an inconvenience than anything.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, if you cancel, you won't be able to transfer using DiskWarrior, so I'd just let it run.

jW