hard drive wont go back in

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JoshBoy, Jan 1, 2010.

1. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

I woke up this morning to find my 13" macbook starting up with a flashing file and ? mark. After reading up and trying everything i could with no luck I thought maybe i should try to place in a new HDD i had. The new HDD i had lying around was the same specs, same brand that I took out of my PS3. After sliding it in still with no luck i decided to place the old one back in to take it to apple but the HDD wont slide back in, it gets half way in then feels like it is getting stuck, if i apply some pressure I can get it in 98% of the way but not enough to place the metal bracket back on that covers the HDD and the RAM. Any one know what the issue is or how i can fix this issue please? I have googled and can't find any help.

Cheers

Josh

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

A hammer?
    Seriously, DON"T FORCE IT! Did the PS3 drive fit flawlessly, or did you have to "encourage it?" If any force was applied, you may have bent something. Off the the repair shop with you.

In the future, if the ? occurs, boot off your original OS disks or an external bootable drive and run Disk Utility first.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The MacBook has two rubber guides on each side of the HD. Sounds like one of them has come loose and is causing the drive to become stuck.

4. JoshBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

both drives came in and out no problems a few times. I guess I will look up how to remove the case or off to apple

5. john.adam macrumors newbie

Yes I also agree