Hard Drive won't read via Thunderbolt after using it with USB3

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jamooche, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Jamooche macrumors regular

I have a brand new 3TB Seagate external hard drive with both the USB3 dock that came with it and the optional Thunderbolt dock. I used my new 3TB drive in the USB3 to transfer some files from another hard drive that was in the Thunderbolt dock.

Now when I put the 3TB Seagate drive in the Thunderbolt dock, it says the disk is unreadable and wants to initialize it. I've tried restarting pulling the power cords etc. I tried it on my laptop and it now does the same thing.

Works fine now via USB 3 but will not work via Thunderbolt.

What the heck is going on? I really hope I don't have to keep this as a dedicated USB3 drive.

Thanks for any help!

2. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular

3. Jamooche thread starter macrumors regular

No, I formated the hard drive to Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) as soon as I got it which should have erased all the Segate software.

I pulled out the drives from my old firewire drives and can go back and forth between USB3 and Thunderbolt with no issues running off the SATA connection.

I guess I can try erasing / reformatting. Sucks because I just spend over an hour transferring the 500GB+ over. This shouldn't be happening with a brand new drive.

----------

Joseph...

OMG! I'm a fool! I forgot about he thumb drive that came with the drive! Thank you so much for your post! Totally forgot the driver. I was being so careful and meticulous with my new iMac transfer / setup. Totally missed this one.

Thanks again for your quick response...going to install it now...

----------

All fixed...thanks again!!!

4. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular

No my friend you are not a fool, it happens to all of us, & is exactly what makes these forums so useful & a great place to visit. Glad you sorted it out, I am using the Thunderbolt Desk version of the adapter with bare HDDs, & it works like a charm.

5. Jamooche thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly the setup I am using: Bare drives (except for the 1 new 3TB Seagate) with the Thunderbolt Desk adapter. It really is the perfect setup. I've actually gone and taken apart all my families old laptops and old tower PCs and have a bunch of extra useable hard drives now.

I started a thread on it earlier:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1527444