Hard Drive won't repair on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ShadDaTiger, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ShadDaTiger macrumors newbie

I have a 13in Macbook Pro(i5 processor, 4GB RAM, 320 GB, runs on Bootcamp, bought August 2011 brand new from Best Buy) & I can't use the Mac side on it nomore. I was currently running on Lion 10.7.4 and every time I try to start on the Mac side, it would always stay on the grey screen with the Apple logo. So I went to Disk Utilty and try to repair it & my disk won't repair. So I was wondering:

1. How could I restore my Mac w/o losing my music? I also don't have a Time Machine backup (my fault on that one).

2. Is their anyway I could do it w/o having Wi-Fi available?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Boot into the restore partition and do an archive and install(is it called this anymore?). This should preserve all of your applications and user data but delete the OS and reinstall a new copy.

4. ShadDaTiger thread starter macrumors newbie

How to do this...I'm pretty new to Macs lol.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hold the command-r (both keys at once) when booting and it will go to the recovery partition. First go to the Utilities menu and start Disk Utility and try to run repair disk from there to see if that fixes the error. Then form the same screen you can reinstall the OS. It will need to DL it from Apple's servers though. This will not erase your data.