Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheWood, Feb 14, 2011.

1. TheWood macrumors newbie

I was recently given an a MAC Powerbook G4 I'm trying to load Leopard OS on it, the hard drive has been formatted using MacDrive 8. I also have an bootable usb with leopard on it, I checked through MacDrive 8. I plugged the usb in, held the option key down and started the machine, nothing happen the desktop is showing a refresh arrow and a directional arrow, the usb data light is just flashing. What should I do to correct this?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Put a Leopard installation DVD in the slot, start up holding the "C" key down, then reformat the drive properly and install Leopard.

3. TheWood thread starter macrumors newbie

Hard Drive

I did that and it just shows folder and ? mark, that's it. What else?

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Are you trying to install Leopard or Snow Leopard? And wait, what do you mean by bootable USB?

5. TheWood thread starter macrumors newbie

Leopard, I have Leopard OS on a 8gb USB. I know that it works because I was at the house when they loaded it on there MAC and loan it to me to do mine. Also I have OS 9 and I can't get it to load that.

6. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I don't know for sure, but I will wager that the computer you tested it on at your friend's house is an Intel Mac (and you have a PPC Mac). I'm not super familiar with the specifics of PPC vs. Intel installation, but I am wondering if there are two different installation DVDs and you have the one for Intel.

7. TheWood thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right, he gave me Leopard snow which is an intel base. He suppose to give me a copy of regular leopard, I have a original mac os 9 and I'm unable to load that any answers about that?

8. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I feel a little uncomfortable giving you advice on how to install a pirated copy of Mac OS.

It is possible that OS 9 doesn't run on your computer because the computer came out after OS 9 did. If your computer is fast enough and has enough memory, buy a copy of OS X Leopard that is "Universal" or PPC (maybe a used copy on eBay) and install that. If your computer doesn't meet the recommended specs for Leopard than find a copy of OS X 10.4. You can identify what model computer you have and also what the recommended hardware specs are on Apple's site (http://www.apple.com/support).

9. TheWood thread starter macrumors newbie

Cont. Problem

Now that I received a genuine 10.3 panther DVD (2Disc) and put it in to load, at startup held down the C key. I was shocked at what I received a black scrolling screen with a lot of information I do not understand, hopefully somebody can help me. The black screen had to much in formation for me to try and type. I took a couple of screen shots that I am attaching. :confused:

Attached Files:

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The first thing to check is the particular model of the Powerbook. Go to everymac.com and see what the original system (pre-installed) was for your model. Some Powerbook G4 models came with 10.4 pre-installed and will not boot from a 10.3 disk.