Hard Drive ???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soop53, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

I am a "Waiter"...a 8800 mac pro waiter that is...not the restaurant type. Anyway, I have a stock Mac Pro (Ship date: Feb 20) coming with the 8800. My self built PC shut down on me a few months back due to a power supply and motherboard issue. My question(s)...

1. Can I use the three internal hard drives in the old PC on my new Mac Pro? They are 2 Maxtor Sata 1.5 drives (180 gb) and a Seagate IDE 160 gb drive.

2. These drives have XP Home on them. If I can use them, will I be able to use XP from those drives or will I have to reload it? Actually, can I use XP Home on my Mac Pro? I thought I read somewhere where you can not use XP Home.

Thanks

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

1. The SATA drives should work but I do not think there are any PATA ports on Mac Pro. Though the DVD drive may still use PATA I do not know, then you could hook it up as the second drive though it would sit loosely.

2. I highly doubt the Windows install would boot and function correctly without being reinstalled. Windows XP like previous versions puts up a hissy fit when transferred to a different computer due to all the different drivers needed for different motherboards. As for XP Home as long as the install disk includes SP2 it should install fine.

3. Soop53 thread starter macrumors regular

Soop53

4. SilverL macrumors member

You will have many issues with XP to the point of having to reload it.
    You might as well hook up the IDE drive via USB and an enclosure - that way you can get your data off it with minimal hassle.