Hard Drive...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Feb 21, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

It's been discussed before, I'm sure, but a quick search didn't reveal any newer responses.

I need a new macbook pro. My Powerbook died. I'm going to try and wait a week before I bite the bullet, but we'll see.

I'll be getting the 2.6ghz model (If I need to buy the current one). Should I check the 7200rpm, $200 hard drive option box?

What kind of extra heat issues will I have? My g4 got warm, but was usable, but it only had a 5400rpm drive.

Will I need a laptop cooler? (I used on for the G4, but the desk is much less cluttered without it)

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I find no difference between my wife's and mine. I have a 200Gb 7200rpm and wife has 250gb 5400rpm in her 17"MBP HR. About the same to be honest, I don't use a laptop cooler.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you might be happier with the 250gb 5400RPM drive however...just for the extra space

4. AndyFL macrumors regular

Unless you need that much space immediately, I would pass -- wait for drives to undoubtedly get bigger, and cheaper -- then do the upgrade yourself.

5. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Best advice in the thread.

You can purchase a 320gb for about 179.99 Right now from New Egg.

500Gbs come out next month, meaning an even better price point soon.

6. AndyFL macrumors regular

Actually, there was mention in another thread that there is (or was) a Western Digital external 320GB drive (Passport?) on sale at BestBuy for $150. Would make a great swap for whatever is in your MBP currently!

7. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Yeah don't know why I didn't think of that,

That is even better advice considering you can use the left over "shell" to transfer data and use your old drive instead of it being left in a drawer.

8. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Eh, I really don't need that much storage. I have an external that handles all of my media. I'll probably be ripping out that HD, and adding a TB drive with the case (As soon as I can find somebody to recommend me a brand). I've been getting by pretty well with my 80gb drive on this powerbook. Plus, having my media on an external discourages me from getting side tracked when I'm doing work!

While I have upgraded my desk top hard drive before, I don't think I'd feel comfortable ripping into a brand new $2000 laptop. I'd rather just Purchase it as-is and be done with it, not risking warranty voiding stuff! (Well, I would buy 4gigs of crucial memory)