Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lazerbyte, Aug 17, 2010.

1. lazerbyte macrumors newbie

I would like to upgrade my hard drive on my macbook and was wondering should I go to the Apple store to do that as I also want to upgrade the memory to two more gigs.

What do you guys recommend?

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Just yesterday I upgraded the HDD in my MacBook Pro (same design i’m assuming) and it was a breeze. I had an old external HDD lying around with a 320GB in it, so I pried it open and pulled out the hard drive. I then found a small screw driver and opened up my MBP. It took maybe 20 minutes. I also saw the memory which was also easy to access, but I wasn’t upgrading that.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Look here or here for a guide on how to upgrade the HDD and RAM on your specific model.

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Like pretty much everything to do with computer upgrades, you can either do it yourself or take it into a shop.

5. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Do it yourself, lots of tutorials and good pictures on www.ifixit.com. You'll save boatloads of money and you'll get the satisfaction of doing it yourself :) MacBook RAM and HDD upgrades are very easy!

6. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

The only problem I had was that I didn’t have a torx bit small enough to take off those mounting screws. So I had to use pliers like a wrench to take em off and put them back on.

7. Covart Guest

Replacing/installing a new HDD and RAM on any MacBook or MBP from 2008 onward is easy and not worth the trip to an Apple store. Just ensure you have a t6 torx screwdriver and a small phillips screwdriver.

The only real trick is with the HDD mounting bolts. There are 4 of them and a small bit of blue locktite is used on each from the factory. This may require a bit of elbow greece an your part to break free. If you start to strip the head of a bolt, stop, get a pair of locking pliers and twist the head of the bolt ever so slightly to break the bolt free. Then continue unscrewing the t6 or allenhead bolt with the required screwdriver.

Other than that, it is plug and play easy. Lots of youtube vids as mentioned above.