Hard Drives dont show up in Disk Utility or Install!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aerius, Jan 22, 2008.

1. aerius macrumors newbie

Good afternoon,

Ive been trying to downgrade my Quicktime so I can Reinstall an mpeg-2 component. When The installer pops up and it gets to "Select destination for install" There are NO CHOICES.. It stays blank and I cant select any drives..

So I thought It might be a disk repair fixable issue. But when I opened Disc Utility it stays on "Gathering Disc Information" and never shows anything else. I have to force quit to get out of it.

When i went to look at my mac system profiler it Freezes when i select ATA.
    Please Help .

I am running Mac OSX 10.4.11 on a powerpc G5
    I would appreciate some help.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I assume you've tried restarting, which would be the most obvious thing to try.

To be honest, that sounds like there's something wrong with either the drive or the controller, though if it's freezing on ATA, not SATA, on a G5 that would imply it's the optical drive that's the problem. Are you having any issues with burning or reading discs?

Try booting from the Hardware Test disc that came with the computer and see if it shows anything--if it's a hardware issue, it should show up there (and/or try TechTool, if you have Applecare or a copy of TTP). If the hardware tests come up clean, seems like there's an issue with your OS install--have you added any hacks or drivers for anything lately.

3. aerius thread starter macrumors newbie

Some forward movement

ok,

So I was able to start a new account and everything is working fine. When I started a new user account and everything works well under that. But I am afraid to transfer everything to the new account for fear of the same problem happening again.

Any Suggestions.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

But did you restart your computer and retry it on your old account to see if it worked?

5. aerius thread starter macrumors newbie

Old user, same problem.

Yes I did restart and tried using the old account and had the same issue. It just doesnt want me to see any of my hardware components. It so odd.