Hard Drives: How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jb60606, Apr 5, 2008.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I just purchased a 1TB Western Digital "Green Power" hard drive to put in an OWC external hard drive enclosure.

Since the enclosure has no fan, I specifically chose the WD because it is designed to run a little cooler. The external drive's temperature is currently at 108 degrees, after 20+/- minutes of steady work. It idles at about 100 - 103 degrees in an ambient room temp of about 70-75 degrees. Internal drives are at 90-92.

That being said, I'm worried how it will hold up during the summer. As it is an external drive, it doesn't have the luxury of case fans, to cool it down when it's temperature escalates. Does anyone know what temperature range might be the "danger-zone" for hard drives?

Thanks in advance.

2. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bump

WD doesn't offer any "recommended operating temperature" specs for their hard drives, however, I found that Seagate recommends 0-60 Celsius. So, even though it's a different manufacturer, I guess I'm okay at about 40c.

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Here's a pic for operating temps for the 1 TB WD Green power drive....

Attached Files:

4. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm in trouble. Where did you find that?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

6. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

a good read; indeed. Thanks

Most of the people I have asked said 100-108 is fine and not to worry. However, if my Mac is keeping the internal drives up to 20 degrees cooler; it is a cause for concern. That document didn't make me feel any better about the situation :(

I'm going to purchase this external USB fan to see if it'll make any difference.

Thanks