Hard Drives messed up directories...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brainfried, Jan 25, 2012.

1. brainfried macrumors newbie

I bought a dual enclosure for 2 1T hard drives I'd been using for back ups, music library, etc. They worked fine before I put them in the new enclosure, but now they are 'unreadable' by any of my macs. Turns out the new enclosure was preset by OWC for Raid usage. I pulled them back out, hooked them up individually, no difference. The pop up window says 'Disk is unreadable 1 re initialize, 2 ignore, or 3)eject.' I know I'll lose everything if I re initialize. I tried Disk Warrior but it didn't see them either. They do show in the Disk Utility, but again, I don't want to wipe them.
    Any ideas how to reset the directory?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you data may already be gone

the enclosure partitioned the drive as a raid, you may be able to restore the old partition table, or at least recover some of your files.

try something like testdisk to see if you can read them

3. brainfried thread starter macrumors newbie

looking good....

I'm using FileSalvage v.7 and it seems to be working - I downloaded the trial, which only lets you see what is salvageable. It looks like the majority of it is there, so I bought the program ($89 plus tax/ship) and am in the process of pulling it from the drive. It's pulling 8mb per sec, so I'm looking at a couple hours to grab 65G's off of jpgs. It'll be interesting to see how they look - mp3's will be next.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Glad you're able to salvage something, though in the future it might be a good idea to back up your data to avoid a similar situation. I know, hindsight is 20/20 and I may seem a little like a d-bag for pointing out the obvious, but just wanted to stress the importance of a decent backup solution.