Hard drives plugged into Thunderbolt Express Dock not being recognised by Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by infobleep, Mar 30, 2014.

1. infobleep macrumors regular

I don't know if this has come up before but I didn't find anything on a quick search.

I recently bought a Thunderbolt Express Dock. The ethernet port is working. However when I plug in my Iomega, 500GB firewire hard drive into my dock, using the firewire port, my MacBook Air, running Mountain Lion, is not picking it up at all. The same occurs when I try it via the USB ports.

However plug the hard drive directly into my MacBook Air and it shows up and mounts. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? The Express didn't come with any instructions so I assume it should be a simple plug and play.

I've not tested my other hard drives yet. I have three firewire drives I'd like to daisy chain, two being Iomega devices, as well as three separate USB hard drives, which I plug in from time to time.

Thanks for reading.

2. treestar macrumors 6502

Do you have the correct DC power connected to it? It should be 12V incoming rated for 6 amps. You can use the System Information application to see the status of the dock and the devices connected to it.

3. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying Treestar.

I do have the DC power connected to it. I'll have to check the other system details when I have more time, such as the weekend.

4. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Make sure your Macbook Air is running with the correct version of OS X required, and that drivers are installed. Some docks may require an OS update.