Hard Drives recommendation for RAID 5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by williamh, Sep 7, 2015.

1. williamh macrumors regular

I currently purchased the 4-bay hardware raid enclosure for my studio and I'm looking for suitable and reliable hard drives for my RAID 5 setup.

**http://eshop.macsales.com/item/MISC/0G033S2TB0GB/ <--this is what I purchased, the G-Technology enclosure.

I'll be using this hardware raid unit for my on-site audio data backup and sample libraries steaming (not going to stream heavy duty libraries from this RAID set, I already have couple SSDs for that task).

I'm looking at both NAS drives and Enterprise drives from WD and HGST, drive performance isn't my primary concern here, I'm more concerning about the drives' reliability for operating at least 12 hours a day. For now, I'm aiming for 4TB drive capacity.

Should I go for the NAS drives (currently looking at the HGST NAS or WD Red) or pay a premium for the enterprise grade drives (like HGST Ultrastar or WD RE)?

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I had a quick look at Amazon and saw the unit there already populated with drives. One private dealer selling at 200 or so dollars as well unpopulated. The populated units came with HGST drives.

The one thing that seemed common in the feedback is that the unit is noisy. I hope this doesn't impact your audio work. Perhaps you might investigate if the fan unit can be replaced with a quieter fan (if that is where the noise is coming from).

3. williamh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I'll go for the HGST drives for this enclosure.

I store all my hardwares inside a machine room, therefore the fan noise isn't a big issue to me.