Hard Drives Will Not Open

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bustrader, Jul 17, 2016.

1. bustrader macrumors newbie

bustrader

I am running OS 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro (and, yes, I already have a 10.11.3 computer I am moving up to). Suddenly, one of my hard drives refuses to open. It will mount and even start up, but I can't get it to open when running on my primary hard drive.

It will open on another Mac Pro and even open when I start up on another drive. The problem appears to be with just my primary hard drive.

I have had Macs for more than 20 years and have never seen anything like this in the past. Has anyone had this problem? What is the solution?

Thanks

2. bustrader thread starter macrumors newbie

bustrader

This is my own reply in case anyone else has this problem. In addition to hard drives not opening I also had folders not opening and the "Find" command did not work. I found a similar situation on the internet but that had no solution.

I did try just about everything including Zapping P RAM, going over permissions and even re-installing the OS. Nothing worked. What I finally did was to move the hard drives to a newer Mac Pro. As soon as I did that, this problem went away. Hence, the failure of hard drives and folders to open was probably connected with some type of computer problem and not a software problem.

I hope that this helps anyone else who has this problem.